Another bts acquisition in VG condition, from a non smoking studio. Aside from some marks on the rack ears and to the top and bottom covers, this unit is clean, inside and out. This one owner unit has never toured and is in fine shape. Additional detailed pics of the covers available on requeest.
Please Note: Meters and the output transformers can be added, and are available from John Hardy.
The M-1 Mic Preamp is among the finest mic preamps in the world. It provides the accuracy and transparency that is missing in other mic preamps. No matter what your application, the M-1 will provide superior sound quality. The world's best input transformer (Jensen JT-16-B), best op-amp (990 discrete op-amp) and the elimination of all capacitors from the signal path combine to provide the highest performance.
The M-1 has a 19" wide mainframe rack-mount chassis (1.75"H x 19"W x 8"D) and can be ordered with 1 to 4 channels. There are two meter options and the best Jensen output transformer (JT-11-BMQ) is also available as an option. Additional channels and options can be easily added later up to the total capacity of the mainframe.
The M-1 was introduced in 1987 and while sonically identical to the M-2 there are a few control differences. The M-1 has a two-section gain-pot providing continuously variable adjustment in two overlapping ranges that are selected by the "HIGH GAIN" switch. (The M-2 has a 16 position gain-switch with 1% metal-film resistors providing accurate and repeatable gain settings. Since the "HIGH GAIN" switch isn't necessary, the M-2 is available with either a "20 OHM MIC" switch OR a "20dB PAD" switch).
• JT-16-B Input Transformer. Jensen's best mic input model.
• 990 Discrete Op-Amp. Faster, quieter, more powerful and better sounding than typical monolithic op-amps.
• Elimination Of All Coupling Capacitors From The Signal Path. Results in less degradation of the audio signal.
• Dual Range Gain Control And 'High Gain' Switch. Provides great feel and resolution for easy and accurate adjustments.
• Polarity Reverse Switch.
• Phantom Power Switch.
• All Front Panel Switches Are LED Illuminated.
• Gold Plated XLR Connectors for maximum reliability.
• Ground Lift Switch On Each Channel. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
• Toroidal Power Transformer With Additional Shielding. Eliminates hum problems so no external power supply is needed.
• Universal Power Supply. Internal switch provides six primary voltage choices to accommodate use anywhere in the world.
• Chassis Ground Isolation Switch. Helpful for eliminating ground loops.
• Built To Order, the way YOU want It. Various options can be easily field installed at a later date.
• VU-1 meter. Very accurate and informative 20 segment LED meter card with separate peak LED for monitoring preamp output.
• PK-1 Peak LED metering only (not required if VU-1 is installed).
• JT-11-BMQ Output Transformer. Jensen's best line output transformer.
• Pin 2 Or Pin 3 High. Can be ordered either way and internal jumpers make changes in the field easy.
•Jensen JT-16 transformer option